You can now order some of the images you see here!
Click the arrow to go to the order page --->

Monday, May 31, 2010

Dandelion Greens Bacon and Onion pp.131

Dandelion Greens
     I purchased my first bit of Dandelion Greens this past Saturday at the farmers market.  When I went to purchase the greens the farmer asked me if I had ever prepared the greens before,  when I told him 'no' he quickly told me to try some.  I declined and said I am stuck eating this because it is in my cook book.    In order to lower the spicy flavor I had to blanch the greens. 





Animal Fat
   How this dish gets it's flavoring is through the bacon flavorings.   Now, as I have stated before,  I use turkey bacon, so there is a slight loss in flavor and fat.  Well, I did not have enough fat to saute the greens and onion,  so I used some of the fat I saved from my chicken broth.






 Results
     The onion flavor was too strong for me.  I almost gagged.  But I did eat a few bites to make sure that grew a little more further away from my hatred of onions.  The bacon tasted good, but there was not enough bacon flavor to really pull the dish together.  I would recommend using real bacon for this dish in the future. 




Other News:
     I started to make some keifer,  but not any keifer,  coconut keifer.   Why you ask?  Because I cannot drink milk and I want to get more probiotics.  A friend of mine gave me some of her grains and I started my first concoction yesterday and I think it is working out alright.  I am so geeked! :D  I am doing this to save a few bucks.  I learned from a gal from this site on how to make this keifer.  I am looking forward to trying it.  It looks like my grains might have grown.  I am not sure yet...

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about trying dandelion greens someday, but haven't gotten there yet :). I keep a jar of bacon grease in my fridge (trying to be a good southerner!) and use it when recipes call for it or just to fry eggs in and stuff. Mmmm!! :)

    Yay for growing kefir!!!!!!! And thanks for the reminder... I stick mine up in that cupboard and forget about it so easily :P. Time to drain my poor grains again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails