You can now order some of the images you see here!
Click the arrow to go to the order page --->

Friday, June 4, 2010

Slow Cooked Broccoli with Garlic and Anchovies pp.45

Broccoli
     I think I am going to cook this great vegetable once a week as long as I have recipes to do so.  I LOVE BROCCOLI.  Praise the Lord for giving man wisdom on how to breed this vegetable.  This kind of broccoli was not in the garden of Eden.  It's man made.   Here is a small bit from an article to prove my point:
Broccoli, botanically-known as Brassica oleracea italica, is native to the Mediterranean. It was engineered from a cabbage relative by the ancient Etruscans, who were considered to be horticultural geniuses. Its English name, broccoli, is derived from the Italian brocco and the Latin bracchium meaning arm, branch, or shoot. When first introduced in England, broccoli was referred to as "Italian asparagus." Although commercial cultivation of broccoli dates back to the 1500s, it did not become a popular foodstuff in the United States until the early 1920s.  (From here)

Two more links on Broccoli:
Wikipedia and some sort of vegetarian site

Anyways,  I still love it despite My Beloved's hatred for it,  but that is ok.

Anchovies
     Well, actually I used Kippered Herring.  It still worked, but I could not find any anchovies at Wal-Mart,  so I had to improvise,  and I am happy to improvise with Kippered Herring anytime... that stuff rocks!  It blended really well with my dish and the olive oil and garlic.






Result
     It was so good.  I think I will be making this again in the future.  My Beloved, of course,  could not handle it, but he said he liked the Herring and garlic mixture and it reminded him of how Russians prepare their fish sometimes.  The kids were so~so on the dish.  Squeaker inhaled all his broccoli and ate his brothers too.  I'm ok with that,  how ever they will get those veggies in them!




Other News
     I started a new group on Facebook called "Homemaker Geeks".  It's where us homemakers can get geeky!  Join the group!  I would love to see you there :D.
I made another loaf of bread and both of the boys helped me.  They really enjoy pouring the ingredients in the bread machine.  I also started my third bottle of coconut keifer.  Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails