You can now order some of the images you see here!
Click the arrow to go to the order page --->

Friday, June 25, 2010

Report on Broth Made with Chicken Feet

     A few days ago, I made chicken gravy for a recipe.  I used the broth I made from chicken feet as the broth base.  It turned out perfectly!  I have not had any gravy made from homemade broth taste that good.  There is something important about using feet that really makes the difference.   

Mr. Adams said in his post:
“Since the skin is so full of cartilage, the stock will end up being full bodied and will have a very robust, velvety mouthfeel.”

Mrs. Fallon shares in her article that:
“Far from being old-fashioned, broth (or stock) continues to be a staple in professional and gourmet cuisine, due to its unsurpassed flavor and body.”

    Now I know what I have been missing in my stock all these years!  My husband,  who normally hates my homemade gravies (and asks me to buy the unhealthy store stuff), loved the gravy.   I’m so sad that our homes have steeped away from what our very own great-grandmothers  have used in the past to make wonderful gravys.

     People around the world today still use/eat chicken feet.  Mr. Adams also discusses in his post about what other nations across the world eat chicken feet.

Jenny at “The Nourished Kitchen” talks about some of the health benefits of using chicken feet to make broth:

“Chicken feet – gnarly, repulsive and disturbing – make for the very best stock. Devoid of little else but tendons, bone and cartilage (sound appetizing yet?), chicken feet produce a fine golden broth that’s rich in all those obscure nutrients that make a good stock so nourishing: glucosamine chondroitin, collagen and trace minerals.   Moreover, a chicken stock is an excellent source of calcium without .   Understandably, a stock made from chicken feet gels beautifully just as a good stock should.”


     I know that many people are grossed out by the subject,  but it is an exciting and fun thing to use,  it just takes a while getting used to.  And knowing that you will have awesome flavor and many great health benefits from using chicken feet is so worth it!


Here are some more links if you want to read more about chicken feet:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails