You can now order some of the images you see here!
Click the arrow to go to the order page --->

Monday, July 26, 2010

Mashed Potatoes? I think not!

From chicken feet to turnips,  I have had quite the day....

     So, My Beloved and I are trying to wake up earlier to work out and get our day started.  We somewhat sucessed this morning.  He got up (YAY!),  but I got very little sleep.  So I dozed for a few more min.  Sadly,  his workout was loud enough to wake up the little chefs,  so I did not get my quiet morning as I was hoping for.  We'll be working on that.

   I made My Beloved a bento style lunch.  But sadly his work had a special lunch for their employees and so my lunch got forgotten.  Oh well,  I shall try again tomorrow :D.

   I made some more chicken feet broth (it's still cooking) and it tastes wonderful!   I made some chicken and dumplings with some of the broth.  It's great to know all the health benefits we are getting out of that little meal,  and for a good price too!  I added to my dumplings some rosemary and parsley from my garden.  It was so nice to just hop out there and snag some.

    

Pureed Turnips pp.344
    Tonight I made, basically, mashed turnips (with one potato).  It was very good and had more life to it than regular mashed potatoes.  I had to add more fluid to it because I underestimated the tenderness of the turnips.   I really enjoyed this,  but when Sous Chef Squeaker took a bite,  he spit it out again.  I think I need to have some gravy next time for this dish.

Something I was thinking about when I was eating these, was about the people who eat mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.  From this site I found this information:

Potatoes

  • 1 cup raw cubed (150 grams) - 22 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (145 grams) - 29 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Turnips

  • 1 cup raw chopped (130 grams) - 6 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (230 grams) - 7 grams carb, 5 grams fiber 
   Looks like having the majority being turnips is a much better choice.  Now how about vitamins??
This site  and this site has some interesting information on Turnips and nutrition. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails